Friday, December 2, 2011

Narcissism Good or Bad?

Narcissism is the inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self love. The word narcissism comes from a Greek myth. The young, good-looking man, Narcissus, kept on turning away the chances to be with anyone.A great nymph named Echo had fallen in love with him, but she could not express her feelings towards him, because she could only repeat what other people said to her. She like many, including the other sex, were rejected. A goddess named Maiden, heard about him rejecting everyone, which made her very mad, and made him fall in love with himself. One day he looked into a pond and fell in love when he saw his reflection. He stayed in that spot for the rest of his life until he died, and when he passed away, a flower grew on that very spot and was called the Narcissus.
That is how the meaning originated, and now in days we use it to discribe someting or someone. Even though in the story it was taken as a mad thing, I think that it could also be considered a good thing, but to some extent. When some's decsribed as narcissistic, my impression of them is that they either think that they are better then everyone or they are just proud of themselfs. So when someone says that someone is narcissistic, I have to ask if in a good or bad way. Let's say that Claire tells me that Veronica is a very narcissitic person. Two completly different things that pop into my head are; either she thinks she's too cool for school, or she won first place at her track meet and she is very excited about it. It also depends on how exited Veronica is. If she is bragging on about how she beat everyone and that she is the best, I would consider that a bad type of narsissism. But if she were decent about it and were only telling a few people that she won, and were not bragging, then I would take it as a good thing. Also if Veronica were an introvert, then I think it would boost her self esteem up. So you tell me, what do you think about narcissism? Do you think it is a good or bad thing and why?

5 comments:

  1. I see narcissism as a negative thing. I say this because the definition of narcissism is the inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self love. I think the key words in the definition are “excessive” and “inordinate”. Excessive means extreme and inordinate means irregular or unwarranted. I think it is fine for someone to be proud and love who they are, but because the definition of narcissism uses the word excessive it is showing that a person who exhibits the trait is not just proud, but they are vain. I also think narcissism is a negative thing because in the story of Narcissus and Echo Narcissus is punished because of his self-absorption. Because he is punished it shows that whoever came up with the myth was trying to tell people that it is not good to be narcissistic, and if you are you will be punished in someway or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you are saying and agree with what you said. I am not saying that narcissism is a good thing but when someone is proud with what they did and they tell a few people what they did it could be considered being narcissistic, but to some extent. I agree with you though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, narcissism can be good or bad depending on your point of view. Being narcissistic means that you are so in love with yourself that you forget to think about others. For me, there is really no excuse to be narcissistic. I don't believe that it can be good or helpful in any situation. Most people don't like to be around people that are really obsessed with themselves. There is a very big difference between being confident, and being vain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see narcissism as bad. However, it is not always bad because you have to appreciate yourself sometimes. It is not right to think you you are "all that" and think that your better than everyone because often in the greek myths, precisely that cause many people's downfall. Being narcissistic is bad for you because it causes you to brag about yourself and often put other people down to make you feel that much better about yourself. On the good side you have to appreciate yourself some because you cant go around thinking that you are the bottom of the bottom. Even if you might be you have to see the better side of it all. To me I try to not brag ever but it still happens sometimes, and i always try to appreciate everything that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being described as narcissistic is a bad thing. It means that someone is full of themself or "self-loving". But it doesn't literaly mean you are in love with yourself, as it is just a term. It is good, however, to love who you are and be thankful for your life.

    ReplyDelete