Friday, December 2, 2011

The Only Righteous Man.

In early biblical times the world had become a wicked and sinister place. All the people on earth were unholy. All of them except a man named Noah. In Genesis the bible says that Noah was the only righteous man on the earth. It then proceeds to tell us the story of how God told him to make an arc. Noah, his immediate family, and 2 of each animal on the earth, were saved from the flood that God sent down to eliminate the wicked people. I’ve have heard two renditions of minor details about this story from biblical scholars. The first is that the bible was literary saying that of all the people on earth Noah was literally the only good one. That the rest of the earth’s population was living in a way that is not pleasing to God. The other opinion of the story is that it was a metaphorical way of saying that the world wasn’t what God had intended it to be. Noah was not the only righteous person, but was just one of the few that were still serving the lord. Which of these versions do you think is more accurate and why? If everyone around you were doing things that were morally wrong would you conform to their ways or stick up for what you believe in? Why?

7 comments:

  1. I believe that the first one was more accurate because it says that Noah was the only holy man on the earth and thats why god chose him to save. And the second one says there were a few holy men on earth but he just chose Noah randomly. Which is something I don not think god would do. I think that if the second one was more accurate god would have chosen all of the few holy men left and not just one. I would stick up for what I believe in and what I think is right. Because there is someone always watching even when you do not think they are. As I was told by many people "Always do the right thing when no one is watching."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the second version is correct. First it sounds much more practical and more realistic. Also if he was the only good person in the world the rest of his own family would be "unworthy" to live. I do admire Noah greatly for no conforming to how everyone else was acting. By human nature people want to be included. Mostly if you do not do what everyone else does you get excluded or exiled. Also in my own experiences I have found it hard to follow my own path. I often veer off my path and join a new group. I see this in a good way because you can always have friends to look out for you. The bad side of this is that sometimes you can not have your own ideas and express yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the first version is right. In the story, it specifically says, that Noah is a righteous man and deserves to be saved. God brought on this huge flood because the world is so wicked. Noah was the only good one left, that was pleasing God. In an ideal world I would stick up for what I believe in, but you just never know what you are going to do if this happened. I would like to believe I would stand up for what I know is right. Sometimes though, people just go with the flow and act like nothing is wrong. All in all, Yes I would like to think that I would stand up for what I believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. carson if god didnt let his family live then how would he repopulate the earth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which version is more accurate? I guess we don't really know. You can interpret either way but I think taking it literally as it is written is right. If you think that Noah was among others in God's favor, I don't think that God would just pick one of the group and let the others suffer the fate of the unrighteous. If everyone around me was doing things that were morally wrong, I'm not sure how I would respond. It really depends on the situation. If I'm surrounded by my friends who knows if I'd give in to peer pressure. Like Nikki said, I'd like to think that I would take a stand against those doing unmoral things around me. Why? Because I think it's important to do so. There's a saying that goes "What's popular isn't always right, and what's right isn't always popular."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that the first reason is more accurate then the second. The bible does state that Noah was the only man whom had not been unholy and that is why God chose him. God would not have just chosen out of random. He felt that Noah was capable of getting the job done and that is why he was chosen. I feel that people are different behind closed doors or with the people they feel comfortable with. People should just be there selfs though not do what others are doing and they shouldn't let other peoples opinions affect the way they act, dress, talk....ect

    ReplyDelete